When you go to a professional like a surveyor or an accountant you do so because you need expert advice or a specialist service that you trust they can provide. When things go wrong and it turns out the advice you were given is poor or the service you received was substandard then the consequences can be devastating. We can help you to pick up the pieces by supporting you to bring a professional negligence claim.
What is a professional negligence claim?
A professional negligence claim is a formal demand for compensation for financial losses you have suffered following the provision of professional advice or services which fell below the standard you were entitled to expert. Such losses may include lost profits, lost business, a loss of goodwill and anything else naturally arising as a result of what has happened.
How do you prove professional negligence?
To prove professional negligence you need to be able to show that:
- the professional concerned was under a duty to take care of your interests, for example by agreeing to advise you on a particular matter;
- this duty was breached because the way your matter was handled did not come up the expected standard, judged by reference to any applicable code of conduct and the way things would have been dealt with by other reasonably competent professionals operating in the same industry; and
- as a result of the breach which has occurred you have suffered direct and reasonably foreseeable financial loss.
What types of professional negligence claims do IMD Solicitors deal with?
Our experienced dispute resolution lawyers can help you to bring a claim against a wide category of professionals, including:
- solicitors, barristers, legal executives and unqualified legal staff;
- professional will writers;
- accountants and financial advisors;
- insurance brokers;
- structural engineers; and
- estate agents
We can also help you to obtain an injunction to secure the release of papers and documents from a professional advisor which are being withheld from you under the terms of a lien but which you require urgent access to.
In addition, we can provide advice on defamation proceedings where your reputation is being tarnished by spurious allegations made by a professional you are proposing to sue or someone closely connected to them.
Why choose IMD Solicitors?
Our team of experienced dispute resolution solicitors have an impressive track record when it comes to bringing and defending professional negligence claims. We work hard to achieve an out of court settlement wherever possible, negotiating tirelessly with your opponent and their insurers and making use of a wide range of non-court based dispute resolution procedures, including mediation, arbitration and expert determination where appropriate.
Where court proceedings cannot be avoided we will pursue your claim robustly and push for the best possible outcome, while still leaving the door open for a voluntart settlement should your opponent decide this would be preferable to leaving matters to a judge to decide.
With UK offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester and European offices in Warsaw, Moscow, Bratislava, Prague and Bucharest, we are well placed to serve your needs wherever you are and whenever you need us.
For further information and to discuss your requirements, please contact Olexandr Kyrychenko on 0330 107 0106.