When you run a business, entering commercial arrangements is something you will do every day. There will be sales agreed with customers, deals done with suppliers, joint initiatives with trade partners and new facilities negotiated with lenders.
Document these arrangement is crucial and best done through a formal contract that sets out the agreed terms, addresses and legal requirements, allocates risk in the event of something goes wrong, provides a means of resolving disputes and, most importantly, ensures that the overall deal done works in your favour.
How we can help
At IMD Solicitors, our commercial lawyers produce business contracts for a range of clients operating across the UK, Europe and further afield, the majority of which are governed by UK or EU law but many of which also have a cross-border element.
We act for new business start-ups, family owned companies, SMEs, PLCs, multinationals and a number of financial institutions.
Our service encompasses contract negotiation, contract drafting and review, contract revision and variation and, where required, contract analysis and interpretation.
In arrangements with an international dimension involving multiple lawyers working across several jurisdictions, we also offer a project management service.
We have an impressively quick turnaround rate and in most cases are able to act on a fixed fee basis to ensure costs remain predictable and there are no nasty surprises.
Contracts we deal with
We deal with a wide variety of contract types, including:
- sale of goods and supply of services contracts;
- standard and bespoke terms and conditions of sale;
- e-commerce agreements;
- lease and hire purchase agreements;
- joint venture, collaboration and partnership agreements;
- outsourcing arrangements;
- agency and distribution agreements;
- franchise agreements;
- service level agreements;
- loan, credit facility and guarantee agreements;
- data protection and GDPR agreements;
- non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, particularly in contracts involving the developments or exploitation of intellectual property;
- employment contracts, including directors service agreements; and
- company contracts, including shareholder and share purchase agreements.
Why choose IMD Solicitors?
When working on a commercial contract it is very easy to get caught up in the detail and forget about the overriding need to ensure that what you end up with is a viable and practical arrangement.
This is something we never lose sight of and is why our primary focus when we deal with a contract on your behalf will always be on how it translates into practice.
You can have the most carefully constructed, legally accurate and watertight contract in the world but if it is not capable of being delivered then it will be worthless.
That said, there are certain formalities which mist always be complied with to ensure your contractual documents are valid, that your interests are adequately protected and that your potential level of risk exposure is kept to an absolute minimum.
Our lawyers have the skills and experience needed to achieve this delicate balance, providing you with contracts that are both legally effective and commercially realistic.
In addition, it is not just the formation of contracts that we can help you with, but also contract disputes if you encounter difficulties when things are up and running and contract reviews as part of the legal due diligence process in the event your business is sold or you are looking to attract outside investment.
List of notable commercial cases
- Advising one of the largest European banks on a number of occasions in respect of validity and construction of guarantees and on demand bonds, together with validity of agreements varying the guarantees and the underlying multi-million facility agreements.
- Advising on the establishment of a large entertainment company. Preparing various corporate and investment documents and leading extensive negotiations of shareholder agreement and ancillary documents. In addition, we provided various legal support to the company on on-going basis.
- Acting for a major automotive manufacturer in a joint venture with a UK company to commence production and distribution on the product in the UK and the Commonwealth. Negotiating and preparing all the relevant joint venture documents.
- Acting for the construction company in a large scale building project of circa £25m. Involved in negotiating an extensive JCT D&B contract as between our client (main contractor) and the local authority who were their client in this project.
- Drafting Terms & Conditions and Warranty terms for a leading UK manufacturer of steel doors, windows and partitions.
- Representing a sub-contractor in construction contract negotiations involving a large number of parties for construction of a museum in Kuwait.
- Advising on and drafting SaaS (Software as a Service) contract for the Client entering the UK market
- Advising on both pro-supplier and pro-customer Software Development Agreements for various Clients
- Advised a technology start up to set up and validate a messaging app, a direct competitor to Facebook’s Messenger
- Advising the client on and negotiating terms of corporate and personal guarantees tied to a cross-border commercial contract.
- Assisting a charity in preparation of various terms and conditions and contractual agreements.
- Advising the client on the terms of a joint venture agreement in an innovative waste management project.
- Advised the first Polish-owned bridging company in the UK
- Advising the client on the validity of execution of a number of international corporate finance agreements.